Oh, some of the words spoken to me, by other kids as a young girl! Look at her legs! We don't have anything that will fit you! Your nose is kind of big. It was those words that dictated how I dressed each day. I knew I must hide my legs, nothing would ever fit me and never do anything that may accentuate my nose.
As an adult woman, I realized that I was allowing others to determine my fashion choices and how I saw myself. As I began to learn my true identity in Christ and focus on what God said about me, my confidence began to change. Yes, I still choose clothes that work for my shape and body type, but it is with confidence of who I am and not with the negative voices in my head.
My story is an example of why fashion is our final step in the Created Woman process.
"We believe that as Ambassadors of Christ, it’s okay to show up well! We believe our identity and self-worth comes through Christ, and as we embrace our unique personality and quirks He has given us, our fashion becomes an outward expression of who we are created to be. Plus, fashion is a whole lot of fun!"
It can be easy to read right over it without considering how this applies to us. This is what it means to me.
· I am to dress according to how God created me and not hide behind the words of others.
· Once I learn my identity, I can dress in a way that shows my unique personality.
· I am to present myself in an honorable way, as I am a reflection of Him
You see, the way we perceive ourselves can keep us from knowing our true identity or purpose. But once we do, we can have freedom to choose with confidence our unique fashion that honors God.
1 Corinthians 5:20 says:
"We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God." (NIV)
Created Woman, be encouraged today and remember. No matter our age, season of life, false ideology, we should present our self in a way that brings honor to the Lord, confident and ready to fulfill the purpose He has for our life.Can you embrace your uniqueness today and show up well, ready to do be the best for what God has called you to do today?
1. Are there were words or thoughts from your childhood that play a role in your fashion choices?
2. How have you learned to overcome them and walk in true confidence in Christ?
3. Where are you in the CW process of fulfilling God's purpose for your life? (dreams, healing, Identity, Health, Purpose, Inside/Out/Fashion (incorporate this question in each reflection to have readers identify where they are on their journey)
CREATED WOMAN JUNE LINE UP: FASHION
We believe that as Ambassadors of Christ, it’s okay to show up well! We believe our identity and self-worth comes through Christ and as we embrace our unique personality and quirks He has given us, our fashion becomes an outward expression of who we are created to be. Plus, fashion is a whole lot of fun!
Gather Her: June 13th
Speaker, Heather Frierson
Fashion Partner Alma Boutique
June 11th, Hannah Breaux, How-to series
June 25th, Heather Frierson, How faith & fashion go together
Weekly Devotionals every Monday & Wednesday:
Modest is hotest
Nineteen & never
Is there a certain way to dress for church?
Ever been worn by a dress?
Does this fit me?